Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
~Mark Twain
I experienced several interesting moments during my recent trip to the state of Washington to visit the love of my life, Sharon , and her family. I previously shared, in my blog titled "Perspective", the story of the misfortunate adventure during my return flight home. That experience left me thinking about how many people can share the same experience, at the same time, and still have a different perspective on its significance in the spectrum of life. However, before I even got on board the flight to return home, I witnessed a very random and selfless act of kindness that showed me the depth of one woman’s heart and character. Witnessing this simple kind act, not only made me think about how simple acts of kindness should be common place in our world, it also made my love for Sharon grow a little bit more.
It was cold and raining on the day my flight was departing Seattle ’s Sea-Tac Airport ….big surprise. Of course to us desert “rats” anything below 60 degrees requires an extra layer of clothing. On this day, though, I was not feeling well. My head was congested, I had been coughing all night and the aches of the Flu were starting to set in. So when Sharon and I got to the airport, 2 hours before my flight was scheduled to depart, we hustled to get out of the parking garage and inside to the warmth of the terminal. When we approached the Southwest Airlines ticket counter there was a very long line of anxious people winding through the maze of ropes waiting for their turn to check luggage and acquire their boarding passes. When we both saw this we looked at each other and then I glanced outside to see that there were all but 2-3 couples waiting in line at the SWA curb-side check-in. I looked at Sharon and she knew right away what I was thinking. She smiled at me as we strolled outside to wait in the much-shorter line. After about…oh 30 seconds….it was apparent that there was a reason this line was so short…it was COLD and WINDY!!...But we huddled together and waited our turn patiently. As we were standing there I noticed a woman who was struggling with a large suitcase, a smaller bag and an infant in a car-seat. Before I could even turn to Sharon and say a word, she left my side and rushed to assist this poor woman. There were plenty of other people standing within 6 feet of this woman, including several SWA employees. But this amazing woman…who was with ME(big smile)…was the first to take action. She carefully helped her around the small crowd on the curb-side, and then disappeared into the terminal assisting her the entire way. I have no idea how far she helped her; I couldn't see where she helped this woman too. All I know is when Sharon returned to my side…she hugged my arm and I gave her a smile and she simply stated “What? I have been there before; I know what that is like.”
In the past, I have told her that she is my beautiful angel. That day, I realized, she was also an angel to a stranger. A woman she will probably never see again. In that moment, I felt my love for her grow a little bit more.
Beautiful brother.
ReplyDelete