Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Happiest Day of My Life

In retrospect, I don’t think the day any of my children were born was the happiest day of my life. In fact, when my twin daughters were born, I was scared shitless! My family was going to double, from two to four! We had decided to not know the sex of each of the babies until they were born. Therefore, in my youthful arrogance, I figured that we had a 50/50 chance of having one boy and one girl. I thought, “One HAS to be a boy!” I was not disappointed though, when on October 23, 1994, my two beautiful daughters, Alix and Nicole, were born. I cried as I witnessed the miracle of life.At the time, it was the happiest day of my life. Since the day my daughters were born, I have had many new “happiest day of my life” experiences.

Long before my daughters were born, when I was about 6 yrs old, I use to sit in my fathers lap and listen to ASU football games on the radio. At that time, I had no idea what Sun Devil stadium even looked like. However, I do vividly remember the cold, winter, Saturday nights, sitting in the security of my father’s arms, listening to the voices of KTAR’s Tom Dillon and Greg Schulte as they called every play through the static of the AM radio transmission. It was then, that I set my goal to one-day play football for ASU. Years passed, and as I began to grow, I never let go of my dream. I worked very hard to develop my football skills. I had to overcome a back injury that I suffered at the age of 15. Because the injury to my back went misdiagnosed for a year, I required surgery the winter break of my junior year in high school. The doctors finally cleared me to return to football the week before the team started practicing for my senior year. I had to work harder than anyone did on the team to regain my lost strength. It was not until we were 3-4 weeks into the season that I finally started to feel my full strength returning. Through it all, I was recruited by 17 different Division I college football programs, but I always knew where I was going to play college football. The day I signed my National Letter of Intent to play football at ASU, was, at that time, the happiest day of my life.

On August 15, 2003, my son was born by cesarean section. At that time, I had a new career selling insurance, I had been re married for 2 years, and my daughters were anxiously awaiting the arrival of their little brother. It was such an incredible experience to witness my daughters love for their new brother. They helped with every aspect of his daily routine, except of course when it was time to change poopy! Throughout each day they were with me, I felt such joy and happiness watching my children in innocent moments of play and tender moments of love. Day after day, I was experiencing the happiest day of my life.

Currently, my daughters are teenagers and the time I get to spend with them is decreasing on a seemingly monthly basis. I have learned to accept that they are spreading their wings and learning to be independent young women. My son is now 7yrs old and the innocent child’s play has been replaced by legions of green and tan army men and Star Wars Xbox video games. We still spend time playing at the park or spend hours in the swimming pool, but my children are babies no more. 

I have not worked in the insurance business now for a little over a year. This new chapter of my life is very exciting. I have found new strength in my connection to spirit. I now trust my instincts completely. I feel as though I have found my calling. I am finally living my life rooted in the true nature of my spirit; I am living from a place of love. I have experienced the results of putting my love energy out in to the universe. I am experiencing much deeper and more intimate friendships than I ever imagined. I truly believe that if you want to find true love, you first have to have it in your own heart and give it without asking for anything in return. I know now that, in my near future, I will experience a new “happiest day of my life” and there will be many more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment